I never paid attention to coconut oil growing up, which was odd considering I grew up in a country abundant in coconuts. It was only within the last five years did I discover the benefits of this wonderful product that I ventured on reading more about it and eventually using it in as many applications as I could.
What started as a replacement to the GMO-produced canola oil now became part of my journey into living a more natural, chemical free life.
I’m sure you could easily find a more exhaustive list of uses for coconut oil somewhere on the internet. However, what I am sharing below are the ideas that my family and I have tried and proven to be true and effective.
Here are my 20 favourite uses of coconut oil.
- In cooking, of course! Coconut oil has a high smoke point, and it’s good for stir-frying or even baking. I have a recipe for an oatmeal breakfast bake that you’ll love.
- As a moisturizer for your skin, sans the bad parabens.
- As a remover for eye makeup. Just rub a small amount and wipe off with a cotton pad.
- As a diaper cream. I have a recipe for a homemade diaper cream that contains coconut oil, but in a pinch, you could just use this oil straight.
- As a sunscreen with a natural SPF 4.
- For baby’s cradle cap. Just gently massage on baby’s head, then rinse off with warm water.
- A topical application against yeast infections.
- All natural lip-balm.
- A soothing and safe application for PUPPS during pregnancy.
- An ingredient for homemade sunscreen.
- An ingredient for homemade toothpaste.
- Oil pulling for good oral health.
- Helps to heal sunburn.
- Great for healing dry, cracked skin on feet, especially the heels.
- An ingredient for homemade vapour rub like vicks.
- Add to smoothies for a great nutritional boost.
- An alternative to any recipe that calls for vegetable oil.
- Healing cold sores.
- Healing canker sores.
- A natural facial moisturizer. It helped me a lot especially during the dry winter months.
Maybe you could help us learn more about this fantastic oil and contribute additional ideas to this list.
What is YOUR favourite use for coconut oil?